Friday, April 3, 2009

I have a blog .... neat!

Alright, I've decided to start a blog. Well, actually, I was told that I should start a blog to detail my attempts at trying to say yes more, and seeing as I am trying to say yes more, I had to say yes to starting a blog. So here it is. To be honest, I used to be, and am still somewhat against blogs. I am against the blogs that are essentially just online journals or diaries. It's one thing if you use it to present different views or opinions but, it's another thing to spend your time talking about what you did all day. That just represents my own opinion ... and is not right or wrong. If you disagree with me on it ... good for you. I don't care. It's a nonsensical opinion and I don't feel like getting into any sort of discussion about it ... so there. That being said, I will try my best to avoid this becoming any kind of journal that details my daily events. I will eventually make reference to things that have happened or that I have done but I hope that it will be part of a greater point that I am trying to make (for example, if I were to say that I saw the film Milk, I hope that it would be part of a bigger message on my views on homosexuality ... or something like that).

So, this blog will hopefully serve two purposes: 1) detail things that I have said yes to doing (that I might not normally have said yes to), and 2) express various opinions, thoughts, and such. Let me explain. For the first part, I agreed to try and say yes to everything for a year. Is it based on the film Yes Man? No. Is it based on the book Yes Man? Yes. I read the book in between my move from Vancouver to Ottawa, and I found it to be quite inspirational and a very good idea. Basically, it got me thinking about all the times I say no in my life, and how, for the most part, it has negatively impacted my life. There are the occasional times where saying no has been a good thing (i.e. saying no to drinking super amounts of alcohol or hooking up with a random girl who breaks your window trying to get into your room (still a good story though)). However, it has mostly led to me not doing as much as I would like to, and missing out on really cool things. I mean, if you say no, it's done. There is no story, there is no experience ... it's over. But if you say yes, you never know where things can go. Also, I was getting tired of sitting at home and watching tv and generally not having that good of a time. So there you go ... I've decided to try saying yes, it is entirely based on the book Yes Man, and I am quite enjoying it up to this point. Now for the second part. In the last few months, I've been having lots of different discussions about a range of topics with people in school and my roommates and friends and random people I've met for the first time. As a result, I've found that my opinions have changed on different topics and that my arguments have become strengthened. I feel that constant discussion has helped me to strengthen my skills and opinions, and has made me more open to criticism. I would say that in many respects and on many topics I have changed, and that I am not entirely the same person that I was when I left Vancouver. Therefore, I want to use this blog to also toss out ideas and opinions on various topics. There will be no rhyme or reason to it ... anything I feel like writing about. The goal, hopefully, is that by writing about different topics, I can reason out and solidfy where I stand when it comes to different topics. I also hope that by people commenting on my thoughts, I will able to build better arguments, and throw out weak arguments for stronger ones. So to anyone who reads this: please rip apart my arguments if they are flawed. If I say something that doesn't make any sense, rip it to shreds. If you do a good enough job, and if your point is valid enough, I will change my mind ... I don't like to cling to wrong arguments just so I can never be wrong. There are some issues where there will be disagreement simply because of where we stand and what type of people we are. That's cool ... I encourage any arguments and any comments. It would be really neat to get discussions going or at least to get points made and have the discussion moved to another site (I'm not sure if this blog site is designed in a way to allow for large discussions .... seems like I would need a message board or something else). If anyone knows anything about that ... let me know. Awesome.

Well ... this is pretty much all I wanted to say in this introductory message. Hope things are well with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment